Eat 800 grams (g) of fruits and vegetables a day, any way you want: all fruits, all vegetables, cooked, uncooked, frozen, or canned. No foods are off-limits, but only your fruits and vegetables count towards daily challenge points.
The key: you must be able to weigh it as a standalone and unprocessed fruit or vegetable to count it. The nitty-gritty challenge specifics can be found here or in our write up below.
Why 800g? Science! The 800g target is associated with improved health outcomes across the board and this is a simplified way for us to try to get the fruits and vegetables we need to hit that target.
2 points for eating at least 800 grams of fruits and/or vegetables in a day.
+1 “diversity” bonus when 6 or more fruits and/or vegetables contribute to your 800g total. You must consume at least 25g of a fruit or vegetable for it to count towards this bonus. This bonus is not available if you eat less than 800g/day.
- 1 point for working out at Solidarity CrossFit or doing another workout or intentional active recovery activity. (Need a workout idea? See below.)
February 5 – March 4
Score Submittal & Scoreboard HERE!
Do I need a scale? Yes. There are plenty of affordable options here.
What if I don’t know any recipes or how to cook? We have you covered! We are going to send out a lot of easy delicious recipes via email and the private SCF Facebook group.
All fruits and vegetables are challenge-approved, provided you can weigh the food item as a standalone or unprocessed item. You’ll need a basic kitchen scale to complete this challenge successfully and the expectation is that you will be weighing and measuring.
How to count it:
- Fruits and vegetables in a recipe serving count provided you weigh them before making the recipe. Example: vegetables in chili; if you make 4 servings and measure 800g total vegetable input, that is 200g/serving).
- Fruits and vegetables in a smoothie count if you can measure the ingredients before mixing.
- Canned food – must be canned in water and spices only. Drain item before weighing.
- It only counts if you eat it. Peels, cores, or skins that are not consumed should not be included towards your total.
- Eating out:
- Eyeball fruits and vegetables from restaurants: leafy greens are ~25 g/cup, most restaurant vegetable portions are ~80g.
- Use a restaurant’s website nutrition information where available (e.g., Chipotle, Sticks, etc.)
- Cooked in oil? Assuming it is a standard light coating, don’t worry about the oil contribution and just weigh the cooked item.
While no foods are off-limits, some do not count towards your 800g/day total. These include:
- Dried fruits and vegetables
- Fruit or vegetable juices
- Fruits or vegetables in processed or packaged foods. This includes items like potatoes in potato chips or french fries, peas in chicken pot pie, or apples in apple pie.
- Nuts do not count toward your daily target
- Anything commercially fried. (Cut up potatoes roasted at home: count it! Sweet potato fries at Zinburger: no!)
- If you are questioning if it counts, don’t count it.
The “grey” areas:
- Legumes (beans) and peas: Except for peanuts, count them!
- Tomato derivatives (example: salsa, tomato sauce):
- If the entire ingredient list is veggies and spices: count it!
- If the ingredient list contains sugar or oil: don’t count it
- Whole kernels or corn on the cob: count it!
- Corn derivatives (e.g., cornmeal, popcorn): don’t count it
Travel or Home Workout Suggestions
If you can’t make it to the gym or are travelingand want to get your heart rate up, try some of the workouts listed below. Otherwise, your activity can be 20-30 minutes of stretching, a yoga or other fitness class, taking a lunchtime 15-20 minute walk, or going for a hike with your friends or family – be active in some way every day!
- 35 Burpees, 50 Sit-Ups, 35 Burpees
- AMRAP 20: 5 Pushups, 10 Sit-Ups, 15 Air Squats
- 4 Rounds: 400m Treadmill Run, 50 Air Squats
- Tabata – 8 rounds each of 20 seconds “On”, 10 seconds “Rest”: Pushup, Air Squat, Sit-Ups, Burpees
- AMRAP 15: 5 Strict Pull-Ups, 10 Jumping Lunges, 15 Sit-Ups
- 3 Rounds: .5 mile Treadmill Run, 20 Dumbbell Thrusters (30’s/20’s)
- AMRAP 10: 7 Dumbbell Hang Clean and Jerks (40’s/30’s), 12 Burpees
- AMRAP 20: 6 Strict Pull-Ups, 12 Dumbell Snatches (alternating), 18 Air Squats
- “Dumbell DT” – 5 Rounds: 12 DL, 9 Hang Power Cleans, 6 Push Jerks (45’s/35’s)
- 4 Rounds: 800m Treadmill Run, 20 Sit-Ups, 15 Dumbbell Hang Squat Cleans (35’s/25’s)